- Licensing Services
- Business Portal
Special Occasion Licenses
A special occasion license allows a bona fide nonprofit organization to sell liquor at a specific time, date and place. Examples of events include fundraising dinners, gala events, auctions, and wine tastings.
Note: It is against the law to allow a third party (i.e.: promoter) to run an event on your behalf in exchange for a percentage of the profits. Allowing a third party to collect part of the proceeds or take a cut of the proceeds could prevent your nonprofit from obtaining future Special Occasion Licenses.
- Cost: $60 per day, per location
- Applications available online
Submit your application and fee 45 days before the event to:
Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board
Licensing and Regulation Division
P.O. Box 43085
Olympia, WA 98504-3085
- Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board
- Available to bona fide nonprofit organizations
- Allows sales of spirits, beer and wine by individual serving for on-premises consumption
- The local authority (i.e. mayor or county executive) will be notified of your application and have the opportunity to weigh in on the application
- Organizations are limited to 12 single-day events per calendar year
- Special occasion licensees may not advertise or sell alcohol below cost
- You may purchase spirits from a domestic (in-state) Spirits Distributor, Spirits Retailer licensee, Craft Distillery, or Distillery. You may also purchase spirits from a U.S. distillery holding a Spirits Out-of-State Certificate of Approval (COA) with Washington to ship spirits directly to licensed retailers. Beer or wine may be purchased wholesale or retail.