- Licensing Services
- Alcohol Education
- Business Portal
Over 50 percent of Tri-Cities area businesses sold alcohol to minors during compliance checks
OLYMPIA - On Feb. 14, 2013, 10 businesses across Benton City, Kennewick, Pasco and West Richland failed liquor compliance checks conducted by the Washington State Liquor Control Board (WSLCB). Officers checked 19 businesses for sales/service of alcohol to minors.
The 10 businesses were cited for selling alcohol to investigative aides working with officers. Nine of the failed compliance checks were for selling beer or wine. One of the 10 licensees – Pasco Liquor Store - failed their compliance check by selling spirits to WSLCB investigative aides.
The WSLCB and local authorities regularly conduct compliance checks of area businesses licensed to sell alcohol. These businesses include restaurants, grocery stores, liquor stores, neighborhood markets, taverns, wine bars and sports/entertainment facilities. Compliance checks are proven tools to reduce the sale of alcohol to minors.
Investigative aides assist officers with compliance checks. These individuals are from 18 to 20 years old. They must either present their true identification or none at all if asked by a clerk.
Liquor enforcement officers are empowered to issue Administrative Violation Notices to businesses that fail compliance checks. Fines or temporary license suspensions can be issued depending on the severity of the infraction or the frequency with which a business has been cited.
Businesses that sold alcohol to a minor:
- Tienda Y Carniceria, 1009 Dale Ave, Benton City
- Just A Minute Mart, 712 9th St, Benton City
- White Buddha Lounge & Café, 1360 N Louisiana St #F, Kennewick
- Red Lion Columbia Center Kennewick, 1101 N Columbia Center Blvd, Kennewick
- Twigs, 1321 N Columbia Center Blvd #901A, Kennewick
- The Pub, 7001 W Clearwater, Kennewick
- Pasco Liquor Store, 2735 W Court St #B, Pasco (3rd violation in two years)
- West Richland Beer and Wine Shop, 4003 W Van Geisen St #E, West Richland
- West Richland Municipal Golf Course, 4000 Fallon Dr, West Richland (2nd violation in two years)
- Ty’s, 3880 Van Geisen St, West Richland
Businesses that did not sell alcohol to a minor:
- Pik-A-Pop, 505 9th St, Benton City
- Ki Be Market Grocery and Feed, 1215 Horne Dr, Benton City
- Kennewick Red Apple, 902 S Washington, Kennewick
- Tony Roma’s, 8551 Gage Blvd #A, Kennewick
- Mizu Sushi and Roll, 1321 Columbia Center Blvd #907, Kennewick
- Albertson’s, 5204 W Clearwater Ave, Kennewick
- Safeway, 2825 W Kennewick Ave, Kennewick
- Fred Meyer, 2811 W 10th Ave, Kennewick
- Atomic Food, 1212 N 4th Ave, Pasco
The Washington State Liquor Control Board’s mission is to promote public safety by consistent and fair administration of liquor laws through education, voluntary compliance, responsible sales and preventing the misuse of alcohol and tobacco.
Contact: Mikhail Carpenter, WSLCB Communications, 360-664-1621