- Licensing Services
- Alcohol Education
- Business Portal
10 Tacoma businesses sold alcohol to minors during compliance checks
February 25, 2009
OLYMPIA - On February 20, 10 Tacoma businesses failed liquor compliance checks conducted as part of a joint enforcement effort by the Washington State Liquor Control Board (WSLCB) and the Tacoma Police Department. Officers checked 43 businesses for sales/service of alcohol to minors.
The 10 businesses were cited for selling alcohol to investigative aides working with police and liquor enforcement officers.
The WSLCB and local authorities regularly conduct compliance checks of area businesses licensed to sell alcohol. These businesses include spirits, beer and wine restaurants, grocery stores, state and contract liquor stores, neighborhood markets, taverns, wine bars and sports/entertainment facilities. Compliance checks are proven tools to reduce the sale of alcohol to minors.
Liquor enforcement officers conduct compliance checks assisted by investigative aides. These individuals are from 17 to 20 years old. They must present their true identification if asked by a clerk. However, they may attempt to be evasive if asked their age but not asked for identification.
Liquor enforcement officers are empowered to issue Administrative Violation Notices to businesses that fail compliance checks. Fines or temporary license suspensions can be issued depending on the severity of the infraction or the frequency with which a business has been cited. Clerks who sell can also receive a criminal citation. Liquor enforcement officers review the past two years when determining fines or license suspensions.
Tacoma businesses that sold alcohol to a minor on February 20:
- Grandy's Country Cobbler, 1602 S. Mildred
- Ben Dews Club House Grill & Bar, 6501 6th Ave.
- Game On Sports Grille, 6409 6th Ave.
- King's Deli & Grocery, 326 Tacoma Ave. S.
- Checker's II/Spirit, 2301 S. 12th St.
- E-Z Food Store, 2728 S. 12th St.
- 54th Sports Bar, 5415 S. Tacoma Way
- Union Corner Grocery, 4501 S. Union Ave.
- Airport Bar & Grill, 5406 S. Tacoma Way
- BJ's Restaurant & Brewhouse, 4502 S. Steele St. Ste. 1177
Tacoma businesses that did not sell alcohol to a minor
on February 20:
- Checkers Food Mart, 1822 S. Jackson
- EZ Mart, 1765 S. Jackson St.
- Rite Aid No. 5276, 1850 S. Mildred St.
- Fred Meyer No. 605, 6901 S. 19th St.
- T C Deli & Grocery, 6701 S. 12th St.
- Taggers Mini Mart, 6615 S. 12th St.
- Imperial Dragon Restaurant, 6805 6th Ave.
- Pop's Deli Mart, 7202 6th Ave.
- 6th Ave Food Market, 7008 6th Ave.
- Handy Mart Grocery-Deli, 402 Tacoma Ave. S.
- Shell Food Mart, 801 Division, 801 Division Ave.
- Parkway, 313 North I St.
- 7-Eleven Store 2303-14442E, 202 I St. N.
- Discount Food, 2501 S. 12th St.
- Lucky III Food Mart, 3601 S. 12th St.
- Dawson's Again, 5443 S. Tacoma Way
- Golden West Restaurant & Lounge, 5228 South Tacoma Way
- Circle K Store No. 8795, 4704 S. Oaks
- Station 56, 5602 S Washington St.
- Sami's Shell, 5407 Tacoma Mall Blvd.
- Hooters Restaurant, 6812 Tacoma Mall Blvd
- Wingers Grill & Bar, 5221 Tacoma Mall Blvd
- Oakes Street Market, 7201 Oakes St. S.
- Arco AM/PM Mini Market, 3601 Center St.
- Royal 76, 5015 Center St.
- 7-12 Grocery, 4002 S. Center St.
- K.S.P. Chevron, 4814 S. Center St.
- Opal Lounge, 5226 S. Tacoma Way
- Oasis Tavern, 5227 S. Tacoma Way
- Starlite Restaurant And Lounge, 5231 S. Tacoma Way
- Arco AM/PM Mini Market, 5433 S. Orchard St.
- State Liquor Store 84, 1415 E. 72nd St. Ste. B
- State Liquor Store 122, 7048 Pacific Ave.
Contact: Lisa Reinke, WSLCB Southwest Region Enforcement Captain, 253-471-4582