- Licensing Services
- Alcohol Education
- Business Portal
3 Spokane businesses sold alcohol to minors during compliance checks
March 14, 2011
OLYMPIA – On March 7, three Spokane businesses failed liquor compliance checks conducted by the Washington State Liquor Control Board (WSLCB). Officers checked 13 businesses for sales/service of alcohol to minors.
The three businesses received Administrative Violation Notices for sale/service of alcohol to a minor after they sold alcohol to investigative aides working with WSLCB enforcement officers.
The WSLCB regularly conducts compliance checks of area businesses licensed to sell alcohol. These businesses include restaurants, grocery stores, state and contract liquor stores, neighborhood markets, taverns, wine bars and sports/entertainment facilities. Compliance checks are proven tools to reduce the sale of alcohol to minors.
Liquor enforcement officers conduct compliance checks assisted by investigative aides. These individuals are from 18 to 20 years old. They must present their true identification if asked by a clerk. However, they may attempt to be evasive if asked their age but not asked for identification.
Liquor enforcement officers are empowered to issue Administrative Violation Notices to businesses that fail compliance checks. Fines or temporary license suspensions can be issued depending on the severity of the infraction or the frequency with which a business has been cited. Clerks who sell can also receive a criminal citation. Liquor enforcement officers review the past two years when determining fines or license suspensions.
Businesses that sold alcohol to a minor:
- Chevron Food Mart, 404 S. Maple
- Sunset Junction, 1801 W. Sunset Ave.
- The Elk Public House, 1931 W. Pacific
Businesses that did not sell alcohol to a minor:
- State Liquor Store No. 65, 1322 W. Third Ave.
- Baekchun Sushi Yama, 1321 W. Third Ave.
- Chan’s Dragon Inn, 1406 W. Third Ave.
- Divine on Walnut, 1428 W. Second Ave.
- Frank’s Diner, 1516 W. Second Ave.
- Conoco Food Mart, 1602 W. Third Ave.
- Sunshine Food Mart, 1527 W. Third Ave.
- Ming Wah Restaurant, 1618 W. Third Ave.
- Rosauer’s Supermarket No. 2, 1808 W. Third Ave.
- The Swamp Tavern, 1904 W. Fifth Ave.
Contact: Rob Reynolds, WSLCB Eastern Washington Region Enforcement Lieutenant, (509) 625-5515
Anne Radford, WSLCB Communications Consultant, (360) 664-1604